Sunday 14 May 2017

SHACK 68 THE LECTURE


search by image


The students filed into the lecture theater and I was presenting a lecture on alternative energy source and communities that were experimenting and using them, these were the early days in this subject.

The theater was three quarters filled and as I got going, by the way I had two tea breaks of 20 minutes after an 1hr and half lecture, with a 1 hrs lunch break and afternoon as in morning.

There were many crossed arms and feet showing an uncomfortable reception and sniggers and at odd times a shout by an older voice of rubbish which set off laughter, mainly like guffaws.    

As we came to first tea break and biscuit binge, this old voice 'stop all of you' and old craggy man who was an emeritus professor, 'He said can you really prove any of this?  'I said well not four miles away there is such an experiment, I am willing to pay a taxi fare for two students and you to visit it, and if it not as to what I have said I will waive my lecture fee, and I suggest we  have an extended tea break and reassemble when you arrive back'.

After we had reassembled the professor came towards me waving his walking cane, I thought he was going to hit me with it.  The lecture theater was now only quarter filled. ' He came to me and put his hand on my shoulder and said ' I apologize for being so rude and shouting I have been and seen these things and they do work and well. However you are a man before your time, big industry and wealthy business men will not let it happen, listen to this man and take note. As for me I am steeped in my ways and cannot change although I have seen it with my own eyes, you see what will happen if I take this up it will pull the rug from beneath my feet and send my world crashing, good luck and be careful for you might regret this as they might come after you, I know because I had these ideas and was forced into submission and joined the club, I made a compromise between ambition and a safe life, good day to you sir'

I stood there in silence, I merely then just answered questions. The Chancellor of the University had heard about this and came to apologize, I had finished the lecture an hour before time. The Chancellor said he would pay me the full fee and expenses.

I pondered on the whole incident on the way back whilst sitting in a first class seat on the train.  Enjoying the hospitality of the first class seating, quietness and refinery, I felt safe and comfortable and could feel what it would be like to have to sit on the roof of the train or board a train such as seen in India where everybody piles in, roof, back front, and so on.  

Perhaps the world and myself are not used to such radical change.


SHACK

No comments:

Post a Comment